MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

June 24, 2011

Queen Bee!

No unfortunately I didn't get my hives yet, but I did make an adorable birthday card. I've been looking through my card folding magazine and seen this accordian fold that screamed make me when I saw it. So after doing some resizing on my gypsy....I started cutting and piecing together. It's a super simple card, and I enjoyed making it for one of my friends daughter's birthday.
The base of my card is 4 3/4x 20 1/2. I used the citrus stack by DCWV. I cut two strips at 10in. (Next time I would cut one at 10 1/4- 10 1/2 in order to account for gluing them together.) The blue strip is folded at 5 in, the yellow at 10 1/4, 12, 16 1/4 and 18 in. I glued the first fold onto the inside of the blue piece,and the others folded to make the accordian part of the card. I then rounded the corners with my corner punch.
Then I went to my gypsy. I used my PAISLEY cartridge to cut out almost the entire card. I love this cartridge, it is so girly, and I have a lot of them around this house. My cuts are as follows:
queen 1/5x4
bee and layers 3 1/2
crown 3
flowers small 1 larger 1 1/2
then for the sentiment I used the celebrations cartridge. It's your day at 1 1/2, happy birthday at 3 in.
After everything was cut it was time to assemble the card.
One of the best things about this card is all of the cuts were made from scraps...which continues to show me why I keep a box of paper pieces when hubby thinks it's trash ;)
I added some buttons and self stick gems to glam it up a bit. The little bee is a button from Fabulous Finds. It took me a bit of time arranging and rearranging before gluing everything down. I wanted the bee's head to reach the crown, and yet look like it was flying when the card is opened. I used zots pop dots to add dimension to the bee and the flowers. The center of the flowers is a button with a larger self stick gem.
I then glued "It's your day" under the crown, but also hidden by the bee when the card is open. "Happy Birthday" was glued to a 4x4 in square and then placed on the inside fold of the card. I think that it turned out really cute for a great "Queen Bee"
I hope this inspires you to get creative with folds. I'm looking forward to trying different folds, either with paper or for the cards. One last pic of it open from the side and then I'll "bee" off ;) (had to go there)
*recipe*
DCWV citrus stack papers
misc. scrap papers
self stick gems
buttons
Paisley and Celebrations cartridges
Zots pop dots, glue






Bee....sure to check in all week to see what new cartridge we will be using!

2 comments:

Suzanne cricutcraftingrammyblogspot.com said...

Jen your card is "bee"utiful. The Paper is perfect for it and very cute cuts. I like that fold a lot. TFS

Kim Ricketts said...

Such a cute card!

Post a Comment