MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

June 26, 2011

Stripes for 4th of July Challenge!

Hi!  Lori here from ScrappinMyStressAway!  My challenge for SweetSassyDiva was to create a 4th of July project using stripes but no stars.  This was not as easy as I thought it would be!!  I started out thinking about making a card and was thinking about the flag without using stars.  I thought it was too plain for a card, so I merged this idea with another one I started a while back ~ a layout about shopping for fireworks!

I found this flag on Independence Day and cut it out at 5.96w x 3.50h.  I cut out the flag in white and stripes in red.

I cut out 4th of July from Stand and Salute to fit in the square where the stars would go.  I wasn't sure if I was going to put white on blue or blue on white, so I cut out both.

I ran the stripes through my Xyron.

I used the negative piece as a template to adhere the stripes to the flag.

I pulled off the negative piece.  As you can see, I leave the pieces on the mat until I am ready for them.  This way I don't lose anything!!

Nope....did not like this look!

Much better!  But the blue looked too long, so I looked it up online and realized the first long stripe is white.  I trimmed the blue and resized and recut the 4th of July.

Then I cut out the tent and banners from Carousel.  The tent is sized at 6.58w x 5.75h..  I cut out the banner at 5.67w x 2.23h.

I cut out the base of the tent and more banners on the next layer.

I used the font on Batman for the word FIREWORKS at 1.31h.  I cut an extra I in red and welded a fuse (a lower case L from Lyrical Letters) to the first L.  I welded the fuse to the L and welded the word together.  I welded and cut out the words shopping for (at 1"h) from Lyrical Letters

I cut apart the blue and white banners and glued them to the red one.


I took these circles (3 different sizes) that I punched out from a thesaurus.

I crinkled them up.

I painted them red with acrylic paint.  I used a little black paint to ink the edges.

I layered them into flowers with a blue crystal in the center.
I took my flag and made it into a secret journaling flap.  Or maybe I will have an extra picture to stick inside...

I like hidden photos and journaling!!

Here is my little firework.  I used stickles to stripe it and to cover the fuse.

I inked the edges of the paper with red paint.  I added stickles to the 4th of July.  I added stickle stripes to the banner.  I also added a stripe of ribbon (or two) to the photo mats.

Here is the other page.

In our family, shopping for fireworks is a big tradition!  My husband (biggest kid in the family) goes as often as I allow him to!!  We have a big party every 4th!

Now, what to do with my discards and scraps.....well make a card of course!!

  
I kept with the stripe theme and glued down some stripes.

I took this scrap and just cut out three circles.  I crinkled them and inked the edges with black paint.

I added some gems and the white 4th of July (the one that was too big for the flag)!

Thanks so much Bobbi Jo for having me on your blog for the 4th of July Stripes Challenge!!!
,

5 comments:

Robin said...

Great job using all the stripes! I loved your projects. TFS,
(:(:Smiles:):)

Robin

Suzanne cricutcraftingrammyblogspot.com said...

Great layout Lori. Love the flower technique and great idea to make the i in fireworks a firecracker. Enjoy and be safe. :)

Kim Ricketts said...

Very cute layout! I love how you made the flowers!

Crystal said...

This is such a cute layout, thanks for sharing!

thekolbes said...

AWESOME layout
Trish

Post a Comment